Saturday, February 11, 2012

Big words

See this sweet face? Somehow, he turned into a teenager -- or maybe just an almost kindergartener. 

I heard him telling Ben the other night to stop talking because "he was trying to concentrate." Earlier this week, he kissed his friend Sophia on the elbow. And last night, John and I just went to bed after hours of chatting with a still awake Jack. (yes, Mom, I remember the days when I was sure he would never talk.)
Or, consider last Friday afternoon, when I picked up the boys from school. 

Me: (quietly buckling Ben in, asking the boys about their day, only to be ignored one more time).
Jack: "Hey Mom, Shake that ass for me. Shake that ass for me." 
Jack laughs. I can't breathe. Think, Nellann. 
Me: (with all my expert parenting skills) "Did you tell Ms. Nancy that?"
Oh please say no, please say no
Jack: "Just you mom. It's my favorite song."
Me: "Don't ever say that again, Jack. It's bad." 
Jack: Complete meltdown.

I edited a blogpost for our hospital last week on what to do when this stuff comes out of your kid's mouth. You are supposed to ignore it, no matter how hard that might seem. Turns out, Jack didn't know those were on the list of bad words.The lyrics come from an Eminem song and we won't get into what else is in that song. Let's just say we got off easy. And yes, he overheard it by accident  one afternoon in the car. Don't judge. 

After my reaction, Jack wailed for about 10 minutes in the car, probably disturbed by the look of horror that came over my face more than anything.

 For the rest of the afternoon, we had conversations like this. 

Jack: "Shake ... argghhhh, Mom, I can't get my mouth to stop singing."
Jack:" Shhh. Stop it mouth, it's a bad word." 
Me: "Yeah mouth, don't even think about it." 


No comments: