Thursday, August 11, 2011

Growing Up?

The green bottle and Bobby. Our world prettv much revolves around these two things. I confessed that Ben still used a green bottle to a friend this week -- the fact that my 2-year-old still demands a bottle of milk every morning. Well, really all the time.

"You should blog about it," she said. At first, the thought sounded ludicrous, but the more I thought about it, the more I was reminded that these are the things I want to remember. And so, I took a photo of what mornings at the Mettee house sometimes look like. It's a battleground and sometimes, John and I are just proud to come out sane. Just a few things that I thought of when I took this photo: 
1. The green bottle. Ben can use a sippy, he just doesn't want to. And sometimes, we don't want the battle. What's funny to me is that he demands a green bottle -- and knows his colors enough to know when I'm sliding by. My guess is that a kid who can pick out his bottle by color shouldn't be using it. I also think he'll still turn out OK. 

2. The thumb and Bobby. Slowly, Bobby is unraveling to nothing, but for now, he's still around. And JUST like cousin Katie, Jack is always sucking on his thumb when bobby is in his hand.

3. The coffee table. You'll see the couch behind them, but these boys would much rather climb up on the table to watch morning cartoons. Still, no one was screaming, right?

Just as fast as I capture this moment, though, I'm caught by how big they really are getting. I grabbed this photo of Jack about a month ago, when he told me he wanted me to cut the tattered part of bobby, so he could throw it away. Bobby is now down to a small square and my guess is that eventually, it'll fit in his pocket.  
 As they grow up, I'm also trying to keep my need for perfection in check. John and I usually make beds each morning, and I've been trying to encourage Jack to help. A few weeks ago, he came downstairs so proud of his achievement.  So proud of that boy.
 
We'll keep taking it day by day around here. And one day, I know, I'll look up and they'll be completely independent. These are the things I'll remember. 

No comments: